Thursday, January 20, 2011

Facebook


Well, I’m in a good pissed off mood this evening. I, and when I say “I,” I mean my fiancé, was looking at a Facebook page for a woman who is baking and selling cakes out of her home. On one of these cakes was the name, “Emmaline.” Are you freaking kidding me? If you haven’t, please see blog entry “Kids with ridiculous names.” It made me want to jump into oncoming traffic. Anyhow, that has led me to this post… Facebook.

First off, I’m completely addicted to Facebook. I check it numerous times a day for no reason. Who’s updated their status? Who’s uploaded new pictures? No one has commented (unless it’s about this awesome blog). Nothing new has happened. What it HAS done to me is make me completely aware of idiots writing stupid things I’d rather not see, but because of my addiction, I’m forced to see. Sometimes it’s like a giant blinking arrow pointing to the name flashing “IDIOT!”-“MORON!”-“STUPID!”

I will not single out any posts that have annoyed me to the point I had to say something about someone, but I WILL give examples/advice to the users of Facebook who insist on making similar posts…
-‘You all’ as a contraction is Y’all, not ya’ll.
-When you post a picture of yourself and someone else, don’t caption it “Him and I,” this, too, is incorrect.
-I never want to know what you’re “fixing” to do. Nothing is broken.
-Apparently it is necessary for all females to end posts to other females with “girl.” “Thanks, girl!” “Happy birthday, Girl!” Wow… [As an aside, this makes me think of the Demetri Martin skit about the phrase ‘sort of.’ It’s just a filler. Here’s your homework assignment- Watch that video. ]

-Spare me you stories about the medications you are taking for anxiety. If you think it might make people think of you differently, you’d be right.
-Status updates on Facebook are labeled as “sharing what is on your mind.” Don’t take advantage.
-I can’t quite figure out why people post song lyrics, but it pisses me off when I see it. After too many of them, I just hide that person. I’m still your friend, but I no longer give any credibility to what you say.
-You know, I think I DO want to play ESPNU’s College Town (or any other ridiculous game). Thanks for the invite. NOT.

Another thing that I have noticed lately is that people want to “check in” to certain places and let me know about it. “Matt has checked in at UT College of Dentistry.” I think Facebook would be an excellent tool for a robber. I would love to see that update. “Burgler checked in at Your House.”

I think that I am generally intolerable of other people’s views and thoughts on a variety of subjects, which has probably lead to the formation of this blog. I find myself judging people pretty hard based on status updates. For instance, when someone is complaining about how they’ve had 3 months off of school for the summer and they “haven’t even been out of school that long,”… Well, I have news for you- that stops. I’m still in school, but our breaks are significantly less than what they were, may-be 4 weeks at the most. Also, I like the ones that, again, being slightly judgmental, talk about the most insignificant, petty things and make huge deals out of them. On second thought, I’m not going to mention specifics, but you know. Okay, I can’t help myself: 1) I’ve taken business classes at college, I promise you, they are NOT hard. 2) Community college, I have no experience, but come on... 3) Pharmacy students. Here’s my impression:

Pharm. Student 1: “I can’t believe we had to get to school at 10AM today!”
Pharm. Student 2: “I know. At least this is our only early day this week and we can go home at 2.”
Pharm. Student 1: “Yeah, because I have to go to work this afternoon.”
Pharm. Student 2: “Me too. Don’t forget that we have our ‘long day’ tomorrow, 1:00-5:00P.”


I’ll close with a quote from Mark Twain. “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment